Thursday, January 28, 2016

Starting Over

New OB doctor yesterday. That's right. After mistreating my thyroid I won't be going back to the previous clinic. In fact, all week my family practice office was trying to collect my past lab records from said past doctor, after finding out the miscarriage labs were not included in the full record requested, we became suspicious. After being told one day the records lady was out and the next day both were sick and my appointment time was approaching, I decided just to drive straight to the lab with ID in hand and request all labs. Sure enough they were there. And wouldn't you know!? The labs my said past doctor told me were normal four months ago, come to find out two of the labs were not normal but HIGH!??? WHAT??? So, in summary, they took a normal lab and told me it was abnormal and put me on medication that caused hyperthyroidism and the abnormal labs they told me were normal. WHY??.... Good question but I haven't felt like talking to them yet so they don't know I know and they don't know I'm going to a new OB and that's how I'd like to keep it for now.

So new OB. He was amazing! I spent one minute in the waiting room, 1 hour 15 minutes visiting with the doctor, 10 minutes doing an exam, and 10 minutes drawing labs. Contrary to popular belief or anyone's opinions, this OB gave me the green light on trying again, right away, as in, not even waiting one cycle. What!?! He told me while we wait for my thyroid to regulate and we wait for labs to come back, there is no reason that he can see why I shouldn't be pregnant and why my chances to carry to term are any less now than they would be in months from now. Also, any condition I test positive for in the labs will be able to be treated during pregnancy and anything I have now developed is nothing we can prevent but only treat, should I become pregnant. He also agreed that surgery was definitely not necessary at this time. Having had three babies, he says that is the last thing that can change so suddenly as to cause the miscarriages.

This appointment gave me new meaning, new hope, and a new start. No matter what we find with the labs, I believe I am in good hands. My insurance doesn't cover REs and at this point with everything I went through with supposedly a very good fertility high risk specialty clinic, clearly that didn't pan out very well. So I am grateful to be in competent hands. I feel a relief and a heavy burden lifted. I feel as though I really do have a good chance.

This last miscarriage, regardless of other issues, I now firmly believe could have been prevented had they not totally screwed up my thyroid and if they would have fixed the blood disorder and immunological issues prior to just suggesting surgery (had they told me in the first place what my labs were!)

No comments:

Post a Comment